A comfort food so delicious, every home cook must have it in their repertoire.
- 2-5 pounds russet potatoes I used 5 pounds in my recipe in the image above and it was perfect for a casserole size dish
- 1/2 block cream cheese I used organic cream cheese
- 1/2 stick butter I used KerryGold butter
- 2 lbs. ground beef or lamb I used lamb
- 1 1 10 oz. bag of frozen vegetables (peas and carrots)
- 1 chopped onion
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 2 tbsp. corn starch
- 1 1/2 cups beef or vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp. worcestershire sauce
- salt, pepper, granulated garlic and dried parsley
- Boil potatoes in salted water until tender, about 12 minutes.
- Drain potatoes and pour them into a mixer bowl.
- Combine cream cheese, butter, 1 tsp. granulated garlic, and salt and pepper to taste and whip until nice and creamy.
- While potatoes boil, preheat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add oil and 2 tbsp. butter to hot pan with beef or lamb.
- Season meat with salt and pepper and granulated garlic. Brown and crumble meat for 3 or 4 minutes. If you are using lamb and the pan is fatty, spoon away some of the drippings.
- Add frozen vegetables and onion to the meat. Cook veggies with meat 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add broth and worcestershire sauce to the skillet with the meat and veggies.
- Make a slurry using the cornstarch and a little water to make it like a thick soup. Pour slurry into your broth, meat and veggie mixture and turn the heat on high to get it to a boil to thicken.
- Once it hits a boil and the broth thickens, turn the heat down to low to simmer for a minute or two.
- If you are going to put this into the oven right away, then Preheat broiler to high. Fill a small rectangular casserole with meat and vegetable mixture. Spoon potatoes over meat evenly. Top potatoes with a little parsley and broil 6 to 8 inches from the heat until potatoes are evenly browned. Top casserole dish with chopped parsley and serve.
- This also makes a great dish to make hours in advance. Just prepare and put in your casserole dish, put plastic wrap and put in your fridge until ready to put in the oven.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 450 degrees and bake until bubbly and potatoes are golden brown. You can also broil it at the end for a minute to really get those potatoes beautifully browned.
Share this Recipe
Leave a Reply